Sunday, January 30, 2011

Rava Dosai with Onion Chutney

I was craving for mom's onion chutney that day and given that I had woken up at 8:30 AM on a Saturday, I decided "What the heck?"...might as well make some good south-indian food. Also, I had run out of food. So it was double the reason. This post is more for the onion chutney than the dosai...cause it just came out of a pack. The chutney however is made from scratch. BTW, it also makes a good dip for tortilla chips...I tried some and I loved it. For the next party, I'm gonna try it on my American/European friends! :)


Ingredients:
Red Onions (big) - 2
Tomato (medium) - 1 or 1/2 depending on your taste
Dried red chillies - 3/4 depending on degree of hotness
Urad dal - 1 or 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 or 1 tsp
Oil - as needed

Method:
1. Cut the onions and tomato into big pieces. Fry them in a little oil (onions first followed by tomato). Set them to cool.
2. Now add oil in a small kadai. Add muster seeds and let them splutter. Then add the urad dal and red chillies. Fry them until the urad dal is nice and browned and the red chillies turn almost black. This brings out the flavors the best as per my mom's instructions. Just don't burn them too much.
3. After both the onion-tomato mix and the tadka has cooled, add first the tadka in the blender followed by the onion-tomato mix and blend them well until you get a nice smooth paste.
4. For the dosai, I just used the Deep brand instant mix. I add water and curds to rather than all water like the box says. I feel the yogurt gives it a better taste.
5. Make the dosais as you normally will; it may just need a little extra oil cause it tends to stick lot more than the normal dosai mix. And you're ready to start hogging!!!



Source:
This is my mom's recipe or rather I've learnt it from her. I don't know if there is like some copyright on it but I guess it's pretty common in all south indian households. Putting a copyright claim on this is like trying to do the same with chappathi or dosai. No one knows who invented it. So I guess we're clear on that? :)


I made this on the weekend which means my photographer was awake and so here are the pics! The dosai may look a little burnt...but it's actually not...seriously :)

No comments:

Post a Comment