Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mutter Pulao


I have a fool proof recipe for mutter pulao (cumin rice with green peas) that I love and I know that if I'm headed to any potluck party, I get asked specifically to make that rice. When I started cooking as a naive 12 yr old, I tried to re-create an amazing pulao that I'd had at some restaurant and amazed my mom to no end. After that, I stuck to it and kept improvising as and when needed. So this recipe is very close to my heart. The trick is adding fried onions to pick up the entire flavor and taste of the pulao. Hope you like it!


Ingredients:
Rice - 1 cup
Water - 1.5 cups
Green peas (fresh or frozen) -1/2 cup
Onion (small) - 1
Cumin seeds - 1 to 1.5 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt to taste

Method:
1. Wash rice for a couple of times, drain and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a thick bottomed pan which comes with a good lid. Add cumin seeds to this and let them splutter.
3. Add the green peas and saute for about 2 minutes.
4. Then add the washed rice and saute until all the moisture is gone. You can easily see when the rice has lost all the moisture.
5. Add the water, salt to taste and cook on medium till you cannot see a layer of water. Then set it on low and cover it for about 15 minutes or until cooked. Let it cool.




For seasoning:
1. Chop onions finely. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and add the onions. Add 1/4 tsp salt and fry until they are completely browned (see picture).
2. Switch off the stove and move the pan to a pot holder. Add the garam masala and mix well.
3. Add this to the cooled rice and mix well. You can save a little to top off while serving.


Source:
None to cite. Please leave a comment if you have a concern with this recipe.


My photographer is busy (read as sleeping all the time) and this week is particularly hectic for us in the Spring term. So pics to follow soon :)

P.S.: Updated with pics!



4 comments:

  1. I use the same recipe for mutter pulao; but I replace the ground garam masala with whole cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom and bay leaf. I have replaced peas with chopped spinach and even once with chopped zucchini. Will try it with capsicum as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Manasa,

    Thanks for stopping by at our blog. I usually add whole garam masala too. But your zucchini version sounds amazing! Also zucchini makes for an amazing Indian-type of bajji that I've had at many Italian restaurants over here.

    --
    Anshu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bajji with zucchini?? Should try it a try sometime...I miss the plantain bajjis so much...we never get plantains to make those here. I think zucchini should be a better replacement...I never gave that a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I remember I had it first at Maggiano's. It was yumm. I actually found a recipe when I googled it. Will post it with the source and reference soon. And I do get green plantain's at my local supermarket :)

    ReplyDelete