Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Vegetarian Lasagna


I had lasagna first when I was in Rome but it was mostly just cheese and tomato to my taste. But my sister found this recipe on AllRecipes.com and tweaked it a bit to make a Spinach Lasagna that was oh-so-good! I've tried it twice so far and it's come out very well. It's a simple and fool proof recipe that no one can go wrong with. So here it goes!


I made it this past weekend cause we were in a cleaning spree at my apartment and I did not want the hassle of cooking for two days. The ingredients list is minimum but you can change it a little with some more Italian spices. All my ingredients are mostly from the department store. I don't bother going to a specialty deli or something. Like I said, I keep it real simple and it still tastes good. This lasagna lasts for at least 1 week (lunch and dinner) for two people.



Ingredients:
Lasagna noodles - 1 pack
Spinach - 1 pack (I get the frozen and cut kind)
Ricotta cheese - 1 small tub
McCormick's Italian seasoning - about 1 tsp
Sale to taste
RAGÚ Pasta Sauce - 2 bottles
Italian cheese - 2 cups, shredded
Mozzarella cheese - 2 cups, shredded
9" X 13" baking dish

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Boil the lasagna al dente. I've learnt that its better to cook even the "no boil" kind cause otherwise the lasagna is way too dry.
3. Microwave the spinach on HIGH for 10 mins in a big mixing bowl.
4. Let it cool and then add the ricotta cheese to it followed by the Italian seasoning mix and salt. Mix well and taste it to make sure that the seasoning is right.
5. In the baking dish, first start with a layer of the pasta. Then do a layer of the RAGÚ sauce followed by a layer of the spinach mix. Then sprinkle some Italian cheese and little mozzarella.
6. Repeat this layering. I get at least 3 layers, so depending on how deep your dish is it would vary.
7. Make sure to end the last layer with lots of mozzarella. It gives the lasagna that perfect finish.
8. Bake it for 50 mins or until the cheese on top is nice and browned.

Source:
and my sister for her innovative tweaks to this yummylicious recipe...thanks Kupy!


And now you're ready to dig-in with relish :)


No comments:

Post a Comment