I was missing my mom badly yesterday and decided to make this comfort food for my soul.
It's a mom-daughter ritual-recipe that was made every Saturday on my once-a-month weekend trips to home from Bangalore to Pondichery after I moved out. Mom always makes this with cucumber raitha or onion raitha. Miss you mom... :)
Ghee - 4 tbsp
Jeera - 1/2 tsp
Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon (dalchini) - 1/2 inch piece
Cloves - 4
Bay leaf - 1
Ginger - 2 inch piece (crushed)
Green chillies - 2 spicy hot (slit)
Onion - 1 medium (finely chopped)
Potato - 1 medium
Carrots - 2
Green beans - 6 to 8
Capsicum - 1 medium or 1/2 large
Green peas - 1/2 cup
Rice - 2 cups
Salt to taste
1. Use a nice thick bottomed pan and heat 1 tbsp ghee in it. Wash the rice and fry it in the ghee until the moisture is gone. Remove the rice and let it cool.
2. In the same pan now add the remaining ghee and add all the whole garam masala ingredients including the green chillies and ginger and let them fry for a minute.
2. Then add the onions and fry them until they are transparent. Do not brown them.
3. Cube the potatoes, chop the carrots, beans and capsicum and wash the peas. Now add the vegetables and fry them for 3-5 mins.
4. Add the fried rice with 3 cups of water (this is enough to cook the rice and vegetables without over cooking them) and salt to taste.
5. Mix well and cover it with a tight lid with air pressure vents and cook on medium until all the water is evaporated. Then set it on low and let it cook for another 5 minutes or until the rice is done.
Mommy dearest :) If you have a concern with this recipe, please leave a comment and I will get back to you.